Sterling Travel Management

Phone +44 (0)23 8068 2610
Phone +44 (0)23 8033 0111
STM Events : Visit UK : Practical Information : Utilities & services

Utilities & services


The voltage used in Britain is 240 Volts AC at 50Hz. Most power sockets are designed for standard 3-pin square plugs. Electrical appliances in Britain generally use the British standard plug with 3 square pins. Plug socket adaptors and power transformers are widely available, you can buy them at most airports, electrical shops and hardware stores.


The quality of tap water in Britain is very high. You can usually drink from all taps that supply water to kitchen areas. Bottled water is also common and available in all local grocery shops and supermarkets.


Gas is often used in homes for cooking, central heating and to heat water. Some cookers may use both gas and electricity, for example they may use gas for the hob and electricity for the oven.

Car fuel

Most cars in Britain run off petrol, but there are also a large number of cars and lorries that run off diesel. Petrol is usually sold as either Four Star (usually a red pump), or Unleaded (usually a green pump); both types are available for most petrol stations.

Measurements & conversions

Kilometres & miles
1 mile = 1.609 kilometres
1 kilometre = 0.621 miles

Litres & gallons
1 gallon = 4.546 litres
1 litre = 0.220 gallons
Kilos & pounds
1 pound = 0.453 kilos
1 kilo = 2.204 pounds

Useful websites:

Twitter LinkedIn 

Copyright © 2020 Sterling Travel Management Privacy Policy  |  Cookies Policy  |  Site Map

Part of Global Travel Solutions Group

Accreditations V2 2017

Copyright © 2020 STM Events Privacy Policy  |  Cookies Policy  |  Site Map
accreditations 2017 ver 2

Send an Enquiry

  *Indicates a field you must enter.

Send an Enquiry

  *Indicates a field you must enter.
Powered By Intergage |